Mushrooms are often a very good addition to various kinds of meals. They can be chock full of vitamins and often are quite good for you. However, Tony Hakim warns you that you should never go out and eat wild mushrooms, especially if you don’t know what kinds can kill you. So, in the interest of safety, here are 10 types of deadly mushrooms that will kill you if you eat them.
This species of mushroom certainly doesn't look like it should be eaten, resembling a shrivelled up brain, but it can actually be edible provided it is cooked properly. If eaten raw however, you’re very likely to experience a horrible death.
The deceptively pleasant sounding name of this fungus belies its true nature. It was once considered non-toxic, but following 60 deaths that occurred in Japan from eating this mushroom, that classification was reconsidered.
This small mushroom contains a deadly amatoxin which is capable of destroying the liver. It is this toxin that is responsible for 80-90% of all mushroom poisoning deaths.
The fly agaric is the famous toadstool from children’s fairy tales and as such is instantly recognisable by its bright red cap with white spots. The main toxic agents in Amanita muscaria are muscimol and ibotenic acid. These act on the central nervous system causing loss of coordination, alternating agitation and sleep, as well as nausea and in some cases hallucinations.
This mushroom is often mistaken for Psilocybes mushrooms, which are used as hallucinogenic drugs. Conocybe Filaris however, can cause irreparable liver damage if ingested.
As with many other toxic mushroom species, the Autumn Skullcap looks very similar to other, edible, mushroom species. This mushroom once again contains the deadly amatoxin.
This is another deceptively safe looking mushroom that can cause nausea, hallucinations and even death.
A mushroom that doesn’t mix it’s words. The active toxin in this shroom is the toxin orellanine which is up there with arsenic in terms of potency. It’s said that a mere taste can poison you.
The Destroying Angels
The nasty sounding name of this mushroom is an accurate representation of its deadly capabilities. It is responsible for a large portion of all mushroom poisonings and can cause irreversible destruction of the kidneys and liver tissue if ingested.
The Death Cap is the mushroom that has been responsible for the majority of human deaths by fungi. It has a long history of use, being employed to kill many prominent figures throughout the ages. 30 grams of Death Cap is enough to kill an adult human.
Tony Hakim hopes that this list has informed you of some mushrooms you absolutely must avoid.